July 28, 2007

Saturday Review of Books Challenge - Book 1



Five Children and It by E. Nesbit
Completed July 27, 2007




During the first glorious week living in their country house, the children dug in the gravel pit in an attempt to reach Australia and discovered a remarkable being - a Psammead, a Sand-fairy, capable of granting wishes - not the usual only three wishes granted by the average genie, but one wish a day! There’s a twist to this wonder, however. Just as King Midas learns, wishes can be anything but wonderful.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip back to a more innocent, slow moving time. Nesbit cleverly weaves lessons into her tale. There are morals here. Be careful what you wish for. That wish just might be granted - literally!

In my book . . . (A great read aloud) If you dig up a “Sammyadd”, pat its furry head and let it go!
‘If you knew how I hate to blow myself out with other people’s wishes, and how frightened I am always that I shall strain a muscle or something. And then to wake up every morning and know you’ve got to do it. You don’t know what it is - you don’t know what it is, you don’t!’ Its voice cracked with emotion, and the last don’t was a squeak.